Sunday, 27 April 2014

Time Management

How are you managing time, workload and academic pressures? How can you improve your time management skills?

I feel like I am managing my time and workload and academic pressure at the moment reasonably well.

I have seen the stress that can be caused if your time at work is not managed efficiently. It was one of the graduates first month but it was also Quarter end at Janssen since transferring across from Medical. She had not managed her time efficiently throughout the month and had left quite a few tasks to the last minute. On Friday afternoon, when everyone else had completed all their own tasks for Quarter End, this graduate still had not even started on her Rec’s. She was rushing with the deadline that she had to catch a flight at 8pm that night. From 3-8pm everyone was working to help this one graduate finish and she was stressed as others were having to stay behind to help her finish and wait for her to be finished so that she could get all her tasks approved. This caused great stress for not only the graduate who had not completed everything but also everyone in the office as we want to pass this internal audit that is being done on the quarter. From observing and being a part of this chaotic quarter end, I have seen firsthand how important it is to manage your time and tasks throughout the month at work and to ensure that you do not forget about doing anything. It is much better to update spread sheets a few times a week instead of waiting to do it all at the end of the month. I have learnt from this, that with my own tasks to keep on top of everything. I have a list written out of everything I have to do and when it is due. I make sure that I update my Claims Visibility worksheet constantly whenever we get a new claim through, so that my manager is able to have an up to date version within a few minutes’ notice. I also come into work early/leave late if I have to complete tasks as it is better to work a bit longer on certain days then leave it all to the last minute. Prioritising tasks is also important. To know which tasks are the most important and urgent to do is important, these tasks are completed more often and I spend more time on them than others. I will spend most of my time throughout the day on these projects/tasks and then update my other tasks/projects that are ongoing either in the morning or at the end of the day.

I am finding I have to manage time extremely well, as I leave college at 7:30 in the morning at won’t get back till 6:30 at night most days and later at least once a week. I find that I use the time in the morning if I catch public transport to read over my lecture notes. When I sit down to study, however, I find that I do use my time more efficiently with my studies.

However, I do need to improve my time management skills at night. I find that after working from 8:30-5:00 it is hard to find the concentration to do my studies. I usually allow the time getting back to college and dinner time as my downtime and then study after dinner. This however, doesn’t always work very well as I have other commitments which also use up quite a bit of my time. I have found that I have had to set most of my Saturdays aside now for Studying as I am not getting as much done throughout the week as I would like to. I need to be more efficient in doing my work as well. I have set out a study plan for the rest of the semester to help me stay on top of my university studies. Without this time specifically set aside, I have had trouble finding time to always do my studies. I also need to make sure I keep onto of this blog and that I have started making dot points of the different tasks I am completing so that at the end of my placement when it comes to do my presentation, I will be on top of it.

I am finding that my time management skills are constantly improving as I am having more to manage and getting the hang of managing my time. I am also finding that it is helpful to my uni studies to be working and making it easier to learn certain aspects of topics in Management Accounting as there are parts that do relate to mine or others tasks at work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about time management. There are two points that I would like to highlight. First, as you demonstrate with your graduate example, poor time management skills impacts not only your own performance but can also negatively effect others' work and life schedules. This is a sure-fire way of developing a poor reputation and causing resentment amongst other team members. Second, it is great to hear that you are following a study plan. It isn't always easy juggling a full time job plus part time studies. Try scheduling your study time in blocks when you are at your best. For instance, people who are early risers, tend to study best in the early hours of the day where night owls are best to schedule study time after dinner. No doubt you'll figure it out with a bit of trial and error.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    The anecdote you provided is not too dissimilar from a common scenario during month end periods at my place of work. I am guessing that this is reflective of all large organisations. As distinguished from your story, many of the "late submissions, reworks and issues" that result in employees staying late surround the reliance on other teams for correct information flows for our journals. This is of course a frustration, and perhaps a cautionary tale to us all to build in flexibility and capacity into monthly task planning in the workplace.

    On the University note, I have found I prefer to do university work earlier in the week and relax a little from mid-week onwards. I think its a matter of individual preference to find what works for you.

    ReplyDelete